Pages

Sunday, June 16, 2019

Instant Gratification vs Snail Mail

I really had no idea how a cell phone has changed my expectations on instant gratification.  If you want to talk to someone, however novel that might be, you call them.  If you want to text, you can expect someone to reply relatively quickly.  Don't know a fact?  You can literally look up anything. 

Here is what you can't do when your loved one is in basic training.  Any of the above.  There is no communication unless it comes from the United States Postal Service. 

The USPS can be a heartless bitch. 

I haven't gotten a letter in over a week.  I woke up this morning with an actual heart ache.  It seems I have gotten my hopes up that since it is Father's Day, they might let our SIT (soldier in training for those that aren't in the know) call home. 

Somehow, I think that the United States Army is going to crush my dreams. 

I also had no idea how the cell phone has spoiled my simple joy of anticipation.  When I do get some kernel of communication, it is as if the sky has opened and rainbows and unicorns are flying across the sky.  It is so sweet I can almost taste it. So tangible I am carrying it in my arms. I have a renewed idea of the importance of quality communication over quantity.  Because space and time are so limited, I think before I speak or write.  I have my questions ready for when he calls.  I will savor his voice until the next time I hear it. 

Today might be the day that I hear it.  My hopes are so high that I woke up at 6am like a kid on Christmas morning.  I am trying to protect my heart in case I don't get what I want, but we all know exactly what will happen when he doesn't call.  In case you are wondering, just ask my family about the leather coat.  It wasn't pretty.

Today might not be my Christmas morning, but I know it is coming.  I know when it does that my appreciation for the gift of his voice will be better than all the leather coats combined.  It will be the best Christmas morning there has ever been.  I will be whole again. 

As hard as this is, I better get used to this because we are in the Army now. 

No comments: