I have been considering abandoning this blog. I know it looks as if I already have since I haven't posted for a while, but summer was crazy and it doesn't look like it is going to slow down for about 10 years.
Things that have happened since I last posted:
1. My parents celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary. It was an intimate gathering of the family that was there for them when they got married; the family they created in the 4 kids, 4 sons-in-law, and 10 grand kids; and the family they chose in the friends they have made along the way. There was good food, good company, and I am so happy to be a part of their world.
2. Laura was home for a whole month. OK, not necessarily home, but in the area, so it felt like we got to spend time with her family for a whole month.
3. Ryan has been playing flag football. I was against this from the beginning as we all know that I am afraid that he is going to get hurt. Let's face it, 9 year old boys have a very hard time not tackling when they are flinging themselves at each other trying to pull a flag, and I have seen my fair share of underwear when they grab the pants instead of the flag. There is no safely equipment except for a mouth guard. I think they should at least have a helmet for crying out loud. Dave will never hear the end of it if something happens to him.
4. Colin is in high school now and is in the marching band. In our school this is a big deal as there are 240 or so kids in the band. I have so much respect for these kids. If someone told me that I would have to play an instrument and walk, sometimes backwards, I would tell them they are nuts. Colin plays the mellaphone which is a huge trumpet and he can't even see where he is going as the bell is too big to see around, and he has to march with his head up. I am ridiculously proud of this kid.
5. School has started. In fact, we are 1/2 way done with the first grading period already. Once again, third grade math is bringing me to my knees. I remember this with Colin as well. Can someone please explain to me why we have to learn how to subtract using FOUR different methods? Is one not bad enough? There has been a few nights of tear and gnashing of teeth, and it is not always Ryan with the issue. One night I had to call my friend who teaches 2nd grade and have her translate for me. I had never heard of a Landmark Number. If he would have called it estimating, I would have understood. Thanks Cindy!
It seems like I spend an inordinate amount of time in the car, and we are keeping Moe's Southwest Grill in business. I had a bit of a panic attack when I realized that there was no more saying, "if we can just get through September things will calm down." When band ends, swim team begins. When flag football ends, basketball begins, and so on, and so on. I have decided to just buckle up and enjoy the ride. People keep telling me it will be over before I know it anyway.