Pages

Friday, October 25, 2013

Why does StoryCorp Have to Make Me Cry?

This whole week on NPR, they have been commemorating 10 years of StoryCorps by replaying and updating some of the most popular stories.  This is the one they played today which is a story about one of those couples that is so in love that it makes you long to have that kind of relationship.  As I was driving to work I started to get teary and this made me think of Dave. 

Danny said "Being married is like having a color television set; you never want to go back to black and white."  I can totally relate to this.  I had a great life before I got married.  As is well documented, I have a great family that has fulfilled pretty much all my needs.  I have amazing sisters and brother-in-laws that would have helped me with anything I might have needed.  What I didn't have was a partner to share it with.  Someone that was on my team no matter what.  Someone that I could bounce ideas off of without being judged; someone that "got"me.  My life was a great story, but with Dave it has color. 

I say these things for no other reason than to tell the world that I love Dave. He does not read this blog very often, so it could be months before he sees it.  On the outside, it doesn't look like we have one of those relationships.  On the outside it looks like we are just tryin to make it through, and on the inside sometimes it feels like it.   He does not write me daily love notes, but he does tell me and show me every day that he loves me.  We are partners in this messy life we have created, and there is nobody else that I would like to share it with. 

On an different note, I have had the opportunity to participate in StoryCorps with my dad.  I didn't know what it was all about when I did it, but now I feel like I am a part of something really cool.  Ours will never be the featured story of the week, but it is our story and I got to ask him some questions that I never knew.  My dad is not the most talkative of men, so I never knew what his favorite memory of me was until then.  I had suspected it was the one about the girl who cried wolf, but now I know for sure. 

I should tell him that some of my favorite memories of him are when I would fall asleep during church and he would carry me up to communion and then out to the car when mass was over.  People would tell him how special I was, and at that moment, it was just the two of us instead of all six of us.  I would bet that this will surprise him. 

If you ever get the opportunity to participate in StoryCorps, please do it.  You do not have to have a story that will be featured that talks about some groundbreaking thing.  Your story is just that.  Your story, and it is important, too. 

1 comment:

Emily Cureton Booth said...

This post was a really, really good one.