Pages

Monday, July 22, 2013

The One Truth of Summer

Here is the one truth of summer.  It is not long enough, and there are not enough hours in a day.  That seems like two things, but in the context of this blog post, it is one.  Lets examine:

  • In the month of June, I had a total of three week-days where I was home longer than to change my clothes before 9:00.   We had either a swim meet or a baseball game every day of the week.
  • I am not supposed to be a two sport mom.
  • Being a two sport mom has made it very difficult to make health meals for my family.  In all honesty, even if I was home I probably would not have had the healthiest meals since I am tired when I come home from work.  Frankly, I would rather have a bowl of cereal.
  • It is difficult to do laundry when you are not at home.  Colin has started to help out of desperation.  I have declared it is now his job to do all the towels and kids clothes.  He is not a dedicated folder and I don't want to have to iron my entire wardrobe.  God bless Colin. 
  • My cousin got married consuming an entire weekend.  I can't think of a better reason for a consumed weekend, and I got to see several of my cousins that I haven't seen in years.  It was a beautiful wedding for my youngest cousin, and he married a lovely woman.  Hi Brian and Jennifer. 
  • July tricked me into thinking that it was going to be a calmer month.  It was not.  Not at all.  We had rain, a lot of rain.  We had swim meets, a lot of swim meets.  Some of the swim meets were in the rain. 
  • I got to go to Atlanta for five days for a work conference.  Public radio people know how to have fun, and I really learned a lot.  I also got to see my cousin Mary Ann.  She was a cousin that I reconnected with at her brother's wedding.  We had "the best Friday EVER."  Her five year old son does not agree as he had the worst Friday ever since he usually gets to spend the evening alone with her.  Sorry Jack!  I also got to see my college friend Megan.  I haven't seen her for a few years, but she is the type of friend where no matter how much time goes by, we start up again right where we left off.  Seeing her fed my soul, and I really needed that.
Here it is already July 22nd, and I just looked up and realized that we are more than halfway through summer.  I am not ready to think about the kids going back to school, or packing lunches, or finding clothes for my kids that have each grown several inches since school let out.  I am not ready to think about homework or early bedtimes, or shorter days.  I am not ready to think of the weather changing course or having to wear socks instead of sandals.  I hate socks.  So do my kids.

In short, I am not ready, but I will get there.  I am living one day at a time, and swim and baseball are over.  So far August looks better, but I have been fooled before.  Here is hoping for a few weeks where we have nothing to do and nowhere to go. 

No comments: