Pages

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Be Careful What You Wish For...

For the last six years I have been wishing that my boys would start to get along.  I dreamed of the day that they would play together in harmony and our house would be filled with the sound of joy, love and happiness. 

I think I have come to the conclusion that boys bond in a different way than girls do.  I grew up with three sisters, and I can safely say, with the exception of one time with Mary Beth in the driveway, I have lived 42 years without hitting, wrestling or tackling any of them.  Of course we fought.  It was not all rainbows and unicorns in our house, but we used our words. 

I finally figured out that over the last 12 months, when my boys are sword fighting, hitting, kicking or doing anything short of pulling hair, that is their way of showing affection.  It is currently impossible for them to be within reach of each other without one instigating a scuffle.  I finally get the phrase "no blood, no foul".  It goes against my every instinct to let this happen.  All I want to do is put them in separate corners of the house and go about my business knowing that they are safe from each other, but I also stepped back and listened.  They are laughing.  They are teasing each other, and there is genuine interaction that is different from when Ryan was younger and he was just bugging Colin. 

It would seam that the my boy's language is different from what I had with my sisters.   The sounds of joy, love and happiness are different, but they are here, and I should just be happy.  It is taking some time for me to get used to it, but I am getting there. 

No comments: