Pages

Thursday, March 8, 2012

The One Where I Actually Become the Middle Aged, Midwestern Stereotype

Last weekend,  Dave and Colin went to the Auto Show.  In theory this was supposed to be an enjoyable bonding experience for them.  They have gone for the last few years and had a great time.  Last year we actually needed a new car so it killed two birds with one stone.  Dave got to see all the new cars without dragging me all over town to see them.

We had a seven year old Honda Civic that was doing just fine.  It had 107,000 miles and needed some work, but all in all, Dave had said that he planned to drive it until Colin was old enough to drive it and then it would be his.  Colin just turned 12.  In theory we were keeping that car for at least four more years.  So it was with the thought that he was just going for something to do on a cold, rainy day that he went to said car show.

The two of them were gone for about five hours and I went to lunch with my parents.  Ryan was at a birthday party so all was well.  When Dave came home he got on the computer and was on it for the rest of the evening.  This, in itself, is not that unusual.  When I glanced over he was on car sites instead of sports, but again I thought nothing of it.  I went about my normal routine, and soon it was time to go to bed. 

The next morning, Dave decided to take a vacation day, but in my quest to get the kids off to school, I wasn't really paying attention.  He has days to burn and sometimes he just needs a mental health day.  Great.  He left to get a cup of coffee at 9:00, and when I looked up from work at 11:00 and he still wasn't home, I called to see where he was.  This was our conversation:

Me:  Hi Honey, where are you, I am starting to worry about you.
Dave:  I am at the Toyota Dealer
Me:  Why are you at the Toyota dealer?
Dave:  I am looking at the new cars. 
Me:  I wasn't aware that we were looking to buy a new car.
Dave:  I am just looking, don't worry.
Me:  Okay, do you want to go to lunch?
Dave:  Sure, I will be home soon. 

He got home and we went outside to get in the car.  Much to my surprise, our car was missing and  there was a different car in our driveway.  I looked at Dave and he said that they just let him "take it out for a spin."  We went to lunch and then the hard sell started.  He wanted to buy the car.  I asked is we could afford it, and he said yes.  I asked if he liked it.  He said yes. 

The next day we bought the car.  We are now owners of a 2012 Toyota Camry, thus making us the definition of a Midwestern, middle aged stereotype.  After I thought about it, I realized that this is what we have worked for our entire lives, and now we are living it. Not owning an actual Camry, but building a life for our family.  I guess this is what it feels like to be a grown-up.  I am still not sure I am ready. 

No comments: