Pages

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Guardian Angels

When Colin was a baby I was working full time.  I was supposed to be able to work from home but at the last minute my company changed their mind.  I was lucky enough to get one of my friends from college to babysit him and I will always consider her to be my first guardian angel.  She was a very talented woman and ended up getting a job in her chosen profession.  I was so happy for her but so sad for us.  I started my quest to find someone that would take care of my baby. 

I asked everyone I knew if they had someone that they would trust with their kids.  I asked strangers in the grocery store that looked like they had happy children.  I called churches to see if they had any recommendations.  I tried several people that were highly thought of, but with some of them we just walked back out.

We kept hearing of the same woman but time after time we were told she no longer watched children.  I was running out of time and options.  One night out of the blue we got a phone call from Tricia.  She told us that several people had told her about our family and since it happened more than once she felt like she should meet us.

When Dave and I walked into her house it felt like home.  Her two kids that were home got on the ground and played with Colin.  When Tricia picked him up the first time she got him to give us a full belly laugh.  Her husband was an easygoing guy that liked to laugh.  I was instantly comfortable and was confident we had found our sitter. Little did I know at the time that I had also found a life long friend.

Over the last ten years we have been adopted by this family.  They have been our security blanket and love our kids like they are their own.  We have watched their kids grow from children into productive members of society.  Adam is graduating from college next month and is due to marry his long-time love.   Amanda is currently serving in the army overseas and is growing up in ways she shouldn't have to.  She is married and has a beautiful stepdaughter.  She has grown from a gawky preteen to a beautiful woman.  Travis has given his parents a run for their money.  He has always been headstrong and sure of himself.  There is only one way to do something and it is his way, mostly it was a way we did not approve of.  He has done everything the hard way and has come out the other side as a handsome, respectful man.  I am very proud of him and am quite sure he will be the one to make a name for himself.   Finally there is Miranda.  She was ten when we first met her.    She will always hold a special place in my heart.  She can and will do anything that she sets her mind to do and she is strong in both body and spirit.  She loves to be in love and she is beautiful both inside and out. 

I thank God for this family as there is no doubt in my mind that he led us to their door.  They have saved me in ways they can't even begin to imagine.  They have seen me at my best and my worst and still welcome me in.  I have cried at the kitchen table and shared untold joy there too.  I have teased Tricia that she is the keeper of the strays, and I consider myself fortunate that she kept us too. 

No comments: