Pages

Friday, February 18, 2011

Of Stickers and Mighty Beans

This week Ryan had croup.  He came into our room at 2:30 in the morning and coughed right in my face.  I often wonder why the kids never do this to Dave.  My side of the bed is on the opposite side of the room from the door.  They have to navigate a very small walkway to reach me whereas they would have to take about four steps to reach Dave.  He is much more sympathetic in the middle of the night than I am and is more likely to help them than me.  Yet every time they come to me.  Often times they come to me to tell me they have to throw up.  I can't tell you how many times I have caught vomit in my hands.  Did I mention that I am on the opposite side of the bathroom as well?

As soon as Ryan came in, the problem was obvious.  There is no mistaking the barking cough that accompanies croup, or the stuffy head that requires me to sleep sitting up in the recliner.  I know that I should say it is my privilege and pleasure to do this for my child.  I really wish I could.  The truth is that I could be part cat.  I love to sleep.  I especially love to sleep IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT!

I did take Ryan to the doctor the next day to have my suspicions confirmed.  The treatment for croup is a liquid steroid that will keep the inflammation down so he can breathe.  The bad thing about this is that it makes him extremely agitated and aggressive.  Ordinarily I have very little patience for this but having just finished a steroid myself for an inflamed hip, I could totally relate to what he was feeling.  I had wanted to crawl out of my skin and attack anyone that I think may have wanted to look at me sideways. 

When you are done at the doctor’s office they let you get a sticker.  Ryan was really having a hard time picking between two of them, one from Cars, and the other one was a sticker that could be assembled into a car.  I was trying to be the mom that would do the right thing and have him take only one.  I was feeling quite superior that he chose the one that required assembly and we started to walk out.  As we were walking out of the office Ryan had a change of heart and wanted the other one.  I quickly whisked him out to the car where he proceeded to have a complete and total meltdown. 

I just felt horrible.  I knew he didn’t feel good, hadn’t had very much sleep and was going to be quickly headed down the steroid path to sure behavior issues.  I should have just let him have both stickers.  I am not sure what I was thinking.  It was a free sticker that would have made him happy.  I am sure the doctor wouldn’t have cared.  He probably gets them free. 

Ryan knew we had to go to Target to get a few things and used this to his advantage.  His favorite restaurant is next to Target.  He asked in his quivering voice to go to Panera for lunch.  If only he could have some chicken noodle soup he knew he would certainly start to feel better.  While we were in Target he asked if he could have just a small toy.  Nothing big, just something that costs a dollar.  Ordinarily I would have just said no, especially since I had just gone through his toys and gotten rid of the true junk so I was reluctant to get him something.  Somehow we ended up in the toy aisle.  I knew I was in trouble.  There are no toys in the toy area of Target that are less than $5.00.  There are really no Star Wars items that are less than $10.00.  We spent about 30 minutes searching for the one thing that could help him get through this horrible illness.  It was then that we found the Star Wars Mighty Beans.  Of course Colin has Mighty Beans so Ryan wanted some.  To make it even better, Colin did not have Star Wars Mighty Beans.  We found something that fit the bill.  Ryan was happy.  Life could go on for both of us.

Next time we go to the doctor I am going to let Ryan have as many stickers as he wants.  That one sticker ended up costing me $4.99.  For as much as I pay that doctor the least he could do is let us have the whole basket of them, but not the Dora ones, they are for girls. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kate-Lauren got a Belle sticker yesterday when she was at the doctor, and she is 18! They never get over the thrill of the sticker. Ann