Pages

Monday, January 23, 2012

Three Phrases that are Driving Me Crazy

There are three phrases that are currently driving me crazy.  They are so overused they are becoming trite.  They have been bothering me for quite a while and I just heard one and it put me over the edge. Because I was in front of my computer when it happened, I will share them with you. 

1.  Journey.  Everything is a journey lately.  From the "Biggest Loser" people on their weight loss journey to anyone navigating a personal crisis.  I think it started with the "Survivor" reality series.  With the explosion of reality TV it has gotten out of control.  I propose we all start saying adventure instead. 

2.  Blessed.  This is totally overused to describe anything from giving birth to finding your favorite pack of gum on sale and you have a matching coupon.  The birth of a child is a blessed event.  Witnessing or being involved in a miracle is a blessed event.  Having a tissue handy when you sneeze is not a blessed event.  That is called planning ahead or a coincidence.  On the other hand, I will say "God bless you" if I am around when you sneeze.  Here are some examples of "blessed" being over used.  I think we can all agree that what you are really trying to say is that you are happy. There is a big difference. 

"I am so blessed to have you for my friend."
"I am so blessed that you were available to change my tire."
"I am so blessed that the dog finally decided to stop eating socks."  (This is a shout out to my friend Susan.  Here is hoping that it will be true sooner rather than later.)

The ultimate is when someone says they were on their journey to the grocery store and they were blessed when they found their favorite gum on sale.  Can we all agree that these words are losing their impact when they are overused?  Can we reserve them for the time when they really apply?  Awesome!

3.  This is somewhat unrelated, but I hear it all the time in the professional world.  We have gotten away from "thinking out of the box", but people still feel the need to "reach out to me".  People, please just say that you will contact me.  I don't need to feel the personal touch.  We all know that I don't like people touching me anyway. 

I will thank you in advance for making all appropriate changes to your vernacular.  I will do the same for you.  Please tell me what they are (without reaching out to me) so I can work on those changes immediately.

No comments: