Pages

Thursday, July 14, 2011

What You See....

Is sometimes exactly what you get.  Sometimes people do things out of the goodness of their hearts and do not have an ulterior motive.  It is possible to do nice things and not expect anything in return.

WARNING...I AM GETTING UP ON MY SOAPBOX NOW....WARNING

I am bringing this up because twice this week I have read where people are doing exceptional things and being criticized.  The one that is literally closest to home is where Char and Chuck Fowler donated $17 MILLION dollars to the University Hospital Rainbow Babies and Children's Hospital for the Angie Fowler Child & Young Adult Cancer Institute.  You can read about it here.  Now I know that there is always a rotten apple in every barrel, but this is an amazing gift to an amazing hospital.  It is a tragedy that they had to get involved as a memorial for their beautiful daughter, but countless people will be able to benefit from their generosity.  I am not going to repeat what the bad apples said because I want to honor these people and tell them that I am so in awe of their generous hearts.  I have longed to be able to make a difference like this and am still finding my way.  They give me inspiration. 

My other impetus for this post comes from something that is familiar to those in the blogosphere.  One of the first blogs that I ever read was Dooce.  She is not for everyone but I have enjoyed and empathized with her from the first time I read her.  Recently she was invited to go to Bangladesh with Christy Turlington to shine some light on the deplorable conditions of maternal health in third world countries.  Christy helped in a documentary called "No Woman No Cry" concerning this issue.  To make a long story short, Christy met Heather and asked if she would like to go on a trip to follow-up on the documentary.  Heather said yes and then paid her own way to go.  People are slamming her all over the net saying that she went on this trip for all different kinds of bad reasons.  Again, I do not want to give those people a voice on my blog so I am not going to reference them here. I wanted to highlight people that are doing amazing things OUT OF THE KINDNESS OF THEIR HEARTS.

I would like to think that I volunteer for the right reasons, and I hope that I have made a difference in the activities in which I participate.  I also think that there is really no bad reason to do what these two people have done.  Our world will be a better place for them, and I am grateful. 

We will now go back to our regularly scheduled program. 

No comments: