Pages

Thursday, May 26, 2011

The End of an Era

I just watched the final Oprah show and can hardly see through my tears to write this.  I was 15 when her show started and I remember thinking it was her fault that Phil Donahue had been forced off the air.  She has come to feel like a friend that always knew just the right thing to say to speak directly through the TV screen and right to my heart. 

I took for granted that she would always be on there for me at 4:00 in the afternoon.  In fact, I have 20 episodes on my DVR that I need to watch.  I didn't like her book selections, but I loved that she loved to read.  I dreamed of being in the audience when she had her Favorite Things episodes, or even there at all. 

What I learned from her is that I have a light that is supposed to shine bright.  I matter, and being me is good enough.  With three older sisters I had a hard time finding my place in this world.  One of my sisters is beautiful, one is brilliant and driven, one would do anything for anyone at any time, and then there was me.  They are three really hard acts to follow, and it took me a long time to figure out  my place in this world, and I found it by realizing that by being the best me that I could was what I was supposed to do.  I opened myself up to being seen, heard and loved and have had an incredible life. 

So, my wish is to tell my family thank you for making me feel worthy and loved.  My wish is that I can pass that on to my boys, all three of them; Dave, Colin and Ryan.  I see you, I hear you, and you matter to me.  You are worthy of my love, respect and devotion, and I thank God every day that you are in my life.  You do not complete me, but you make my life better in every way. 

I wish to thank Oprah for opening my eyes so I could see what the world had to offer and to be grateful every day.  I wish she could know that by watching her show I am a better person.  I wish she could know that I saw her, heard her, and she matters to me.

No comments: