Pages

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Power Struggle

Sometimes I think I need the Supernanny to come to my house.  Ryan breached the line in the sand so far that it was no longer in sight.  Our morning routine is the worst part of my day.  I take 75% of the responsibiliy as I should get most of this stuff organized the night before.  I get out of bed and it starts the mad dash to pack lunches, get the kids to get dressed, Colin to eat breakfast and walk him to the bus stop. 

That brings me to a different question, but we will get back to the morning routine in a few minutes.  We live in a nice neighborhood in a nice city in Ohio.  Colin is 11 years old and he has to walk four houses down the street and one around the corner to get on the bus and there are usually three to four other kids at the bus stop.  Is he old enough to do this on his own?  At what age is he old enough to wait by himself.  I should tell you that he does not like to be by himself, the other kids are all girls, and he never rode the bus before this year. 

Okay, back to the original issue.  Once I get back from the bus stop, I expect Ryan to be dressed so all he has to do is brush his teeth.  He has never been a breakfast eater and this has saved me a bunch of time in the morning, but this week he has decided that he would like to eat a bowl of cereal.  I am thrilled that he wants to eat as breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but this takes an extra five to ten minutes that I had not scheduled.  To make a very long story short, Ryan threw a temper tantrum of epic proportions.  I told him when he got home he would be sent to his room for the entire evening.

Have I mentioned that Ryan is a drama king?  When we got home he did go right to his room.  That lead me to believe he knew what he did was wrong and he agreed that he deserved the punishment.  He was allowed to eat dinner with us and then had to go right to bed.  For the rest of the evening I heard him back there saying things to the effect that he was so sorry and that he would never do it again.    This went on for about 45 minutes when I heard him say "you are breaking me to pieces."  It is a good thing that I am immune to him or otherwise I am sure he would have been  released from his torture. 

I hate that they just won't accept the fact that they need to listen to me.  I hate that I have to always be yelling at him, but I also hate that my house is being run by a 5 year old and things have to stop. 

I will keep you posted as to who wins this battle.  I am afraid that it might not be me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kate You reed to reread your"Line in the Sand" and "boundaries " blogs. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result is the definition of,,,,, Dad