Pages

Thursday, May 5, 2011

May Showers Bring Some Good Things

It has been raining in Ohio for two months.  Before that it snowed for what seems like eternity.  I have been lamenting our weather fate for the last month or two.  It seems like is impossible to avoid it.  Besides the royal wedding and the death of OBL, it seems the weather is the only thing that people talk about. 

This morning as Colin was putting his winter coat on yet again I was thinking about if it has ever been this cold and wet before in the second week of May and then I suddenly remembered the year Dave and I got married.  That year we really wanted to get out and get the flowers planted and spruce up the yard because we were inviting all of our family over to my parent's house between the wedding and reception.  My mom really wanted to get a picture of everyone on the deck.  My in-laws were trying to get a new driveway poured because they were going to have people to their house the day after the wedding.  We got married over the July 4th weekend so in theory this should not have been an issue. 

It was, in fact, a huge issue.  It snowed in May.  It took two months for us to have enough dry days in a row for the driveway to be finished, a mere 4 days before the wedding.  The flowers got planted in the middle of June.  I wish I could say it was a hot mess, but instead it was a cold and rainy mess. 

That summer I married Dave in a lovely ceremony on a perfect July day.  The sun was shining, the birds were singing and it was a beautiful start to the rest of our lives.  My hope is that this cold, wet spring will also lead to more beautiful things.  In every life there will be a monsoon or two, but eventually the sun will come out, and it will do it here, too. 

No comments: