Pages

Monday, March 7, 2011

The Cat in the Hat

This past week was Dr. Seuss's birthday and Ryan's preschool, which I love, had a party for him.  They asked each kid to bring in their favorite Dr. Seuss book.  In a quest to define his favorite book we read all that we own.  I had no idea how many of these books we own.  I had also forgotten that each of these books are REALLY LONG AND HARD TO READ OUT LOUD.

I have never been a fan of "The Cat in the Hat".  As I was reading it again I remembered why I keep hiding it on the bottom of the stack.  Lets start with the fact that the mother leaves two very young children home alone for a whole day with nothing but a goldfish to watch them.  Then they had to have left the door unlocked because a strange cat came into their house and proceeds to destroy it with things like cakes with lit candles and rakes.  What about Stranger Danger?  What about Fire Safety?  What about a Human Babysitter?  Finally, this book encourages you to lie to your mother.  I am sure this is a behavior that I don't need to encourage as my kids do this enough without any encouragement. 

I will now get myself a life and put this book back on the bottom of the pile where it belongs.  I much prefer  Sam-I-Am and his Green Eggs and Ham.

No comments: