Pages

Monday, March 7, 2011

Charlie Sheen Part II

Back in high school I had a good friend named Sharon.  I have always respected her and enjoyed her company.  After writing my blog on Charlie earlier this week, Sharon left the following comment on my Facebook page: 

I have a sister-in-law who is bipolar, so this Charlie Sheen thing hits very close to home. It makes me so very sad, because if he is sick, as some are saying, he has no self-awareness or control over his behavior. I am so glad the kids are now safe as they certainly shouldn't be in his home. But I feel embarrassed and sad that he is a spectacle on TV and for the comics. I keep thinking what if this was my sister-in-law acting out on TV for all to see and mock her behavior. Charlie needs help. And once he's down from this mania he needs to take personal responsibility to continue to get help to control his illness. In the meantime I only have compassion for him, his family, and mostly his children.

Sharon has always been one of the most compassionate people I know.  She has made some very valid points, and as someone that suffers from anxiety and depression this also hits close to home with me.  My post was intended to talk about my parents and what their reaction would be if that was me or one of my sisters, but it is important to realize that this is not just affecting Charlie, but hundreds of other people.  Today CBS has announced that Charlie has been fired, effectively ending his show.  There are literally hundreds of people employed by that show who are now out of work.  I can only imagine how his family is feeling watching their loved one spiral out of control knowing there is very little they can do to help.  Hopefully his children are in a good place and are not scared and confused with being displaced from the home they have known. 

Charlie has tested negative on multiple drug and alcohol tests but this does not mean that he is not in danger.  I don't think his behavior is funny, but shocking.  It is impossible not to watch it like a train wreck.  I have been actively trying to ignore the story but every day it gets more and more erratic. 

We have seen this kind of behavior in the past from other celebrities.  I never thought that Brittney Spears would pull herself out of her downward spiral, but with the help of her family she seems to have surfaced again as someone that can handle life's pressures again.  Robert Downey, Jr. went to jail for his drug problems and has resurfaced as one of Hollywood’s great talents.  There is hope for Charlie yet if he can realize that his behavior is that of a crazy person and get the help he so desperately needs. 

I hope that Charlie can pull himself back from the brink and rejoin his family and see how wonderful life can really be.   Also, thank you to Sharon for reminding me that Charlie is a real person with a real problem who needs our prayers and compassion. 

No comments: